Lactose and Gluten Free
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed/1 teaspoon of store bought minced garlic or 1 teaspoon ground garlic
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 420 g can of sweetcorn
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons gluten free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3-6 spring onions chopped finely.
Olive/peanut or coconut oil
Salt and Pepper
Gluten free sweet chilli sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan, add onion and gently cook until just beginning to soften. Add the chilli (if using), garlic and coriander and cook for a minute, stirring continuously. Remove from heat.
- Drain sweetcorn and tip into a mixing bowl. Lightly mash with a potato masher to break down the corn a little.
- Add the onion mixture, spring onions and beaten eggs to to the bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sift flour and baking powder and stir in.
- Heat some oil in the fry pan. Drop 4-5 heap teaspoons of sweet corn mixture into the pan. Flatten each with a spatula until it's about 1 cm thick.
- Fry the fritter for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turn over and fry the other side until cooked through and crisp.
- Remove from pan and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Keep warm while cooking the remaining fritters (can be placed on low in the oven or covered with some foil). Adding more oil to the pan if needed.
- As a main serve with a huge scrumptious salad or stir fry. Place a dab of sweet chilli sauce over the fritters.