Lactose and Gluten Free*
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 450 grams mincemeat
- 1 tbsp oil
- 45 grams soup mix (chicken noodle) * Gluten intolerant people use a gluten free chicken or stock liquid or powder, 1/2 cup or 1 tablespoon at a time. Alternatively seek out a gluten free soup mix at your supermarket.
- 1 tsp curry powder (When mum made it she obviously made the kid version. 1 teaspoon is not enough, keep adding until you get desired taste. I end up with a tablespoon and maybe more in there)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 cup rice (raw)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (You can skip this bit if you want and add thinly sliced carrots, beans, corn, capsicum, mushroom or whatever veggies you want really)
- 1 cup broccoli (pieces)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower (pieces)
- 2 stalks chopped celery (I omit this as my family don't like celery)
- 2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped bok choy
- Extra water or stock if the water evaporates and rice is not cooked to your liking yet.
2. Add soup mix* or gluten free stock, curry, garlic, onion, ginger powder, pepper and water.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Taste. Add more curry, garlic, onion, ginger and pepper if desired.
5. Add frozen veg and broccoli,cauliflower, celery and simmer a further 10 minutes.
6. Taste. Add more curry, garlic, onion, ginger and pepper if desired.
6. Add shredded cabbage, bean sprouts and bok choy cook for a further 5 minutes then turn off heat. Leave to stand 3 minutes and serve.
Note: If it requires more moisture during cooking add 1/2 cup water or stock at a time.