Lactose and Gluten Free
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 750 g pork neck, cut into 2–3 cm cube. I use whatever pork or chicken is available, but pork neck is great to cook with.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons gluten free fish sauce (Ayam brand is what I use)
- 1½ tablespoons gluten free kecap manis (Chang's brand is gluten free)
- Put brown sugar and ¼ cup of water into a frying pan. Stir over a moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved, then allow to boil without stirring for 3–5 minutes until the syrup is a light golden colour.
- Add the pork, onion, fish sauce, kecap manis, and 1 cup of water to the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook gently on an even simmer for about 25–30 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, stir occasionally so the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. The meat should be tender and the sauce thick and syrupy enough to coat the meat.
- Serve with Asian salad, stir fry and/or rice.
Please peruse our Products page.