Lactose and Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup reduced-salt soy sauce or tamari (*Ayam brand soy sauce is gluten free and available in most supermarkets)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup mirin ( Coles sells this. It's a sweet, natural cooking wine made from sweet rice and is related to sake. Can also be found in any Asian grocers)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets or loins trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces or strips for stove top method.
- 8 spring onions, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths (not required for stove top method)
- Rice, salad, stir fry to serve
Preparation: 5 minutes.
Cooking time: Skewer method: 6-8 minutes. Stove top method: 15 minutes.
You can either thread these onto a skewer or cook as is. I prefer the as is method.
- Soak in cold water for 15 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce, stock, mirin and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Allow to cool completely.
- Thread chicken and onions onto skewers. Place onto a plate. Brush with sauce.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat until hot. Grill skewers, basting with sauce, for 6 to 8 minutes or throw on BBQ until cooked through.
Stove Top Method:
- Combine soy sauce, stock, mirin and sugar in a bowl.
- Partly cook chicken, add sauce, cook on medium high. Keep stirring until sauce reduces and chicken is cooked through and coated in a jam like consistency.