Lactose Free Only
Try these recipes and use your freshly made flatbread:
Tacos with homemade seasoning
Homestyle corn chips
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Proofing time: 45 mins- 60 minutes
1/2 cup of warm water (not too hot or it will kill the yeast)
1 satchet of Tandaco dry yeast
1 teaspoon of castor sugar
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
Bit of salt (I don't use much)
2 teaspoons of olive oil (If you don't have olive oil just use what's on hand)
(I plan to experiment with adding garlic and other herbs to the bread. I'm also going to try making these with alternative flours including gluten free)
2. Make a well in the flour and add yeast, sugar, salt and olive oil.
3. Combine with a wooden spoon or hands. If there's left over flour add a little more water to combine.
4. Move to floured board or bench and knead until elastic, 2-3 minutes. This is not like traditional bread.
5. Brush with oil and place in a warm spot. I cover with a damp cloth. (I use the keep warm function on my oven, turning it on when I start and turning it off when I put the dough in.)
6. Go about your business for 45-60 minutes. Can leave longer, it won't hurt.
7. Dust board or bench with flour. Depending on how many you want. Cut dough into 4 pieces for 4 large ones or 6 for 6 smaller pieces etc....
8. Use rolling pin to roll out dough flat. I don't get uniform shapes but does help when initial dough is rolled into a ball.
9. Try and cook straight away as they can stick together if you stack them on top of each other, but if you want to wait put some baking paper between each.
10 Add olive oil to pan and cook each side for about 3 minutes each side.
11. They last for days in a ziploc bag and if you have some silica gel sachets add to the bag.
* Note: BONUS: Out of pure chance, I'd double the recipe so we could have some extra breads for tacos I was cooking later that week, forgot to add the oil and instead of wasting the dough. I proved it for an hour. Removed from bowl and kneaded it for about 10 minutes until it was smooth and stretchy. I sprayed a loaf tin with olive oil spray, placed it back into the warm oven for about 20 minutes to continue proving it. Removed. Heated oven to 200 degree, cooked loaf for approximately 20-25 minutes. (If it makes a great sound when you knock on the top, it's generally cooked). It was beautiful. :)
~ Enjoy Karen