Gluten, Lactose, Egg and Corn Free
- 750g (4-6 pieces) chicken thigh fillets/breast, boneless and skinless. You can keep them whole or cut into pieces.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 dried bay leaves (or 4 fresh)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper
- green stalks of 1-2 spring onions.
- Combine chicken with 3 minced garlic cloves, soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaves in a bowl. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a fry pan over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and place in the pan. Sear both sides until browned – about 1 minute on each side. Do not cook the chicken all the way through. Remove chicken from the fry pan and set aside. Reserve the marinade as you'll need it later.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add the marinade, water, sugar and black pepper. Bring it to a simmer then turn heat down to medium high.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the chicken back in. Leave to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the sauce reduces down to a thick jam-like syrup.
- Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then serve on rice and garnished with spring onions.
When serving you won't need all the sauce because it is very strong in flavour.