Lactose and Gluten Free
- 2 x shallots finely chopped (you'll usually find these near where the fresh garlic and ginger are in the fresh produce section of your supermarket.)
- 4 cm piece of fresh root ginger, finally chopped or 1-2 teaspoons of minced ginger.
- Juice of two limes (Don't throw away the limes, the rind comes in handy for other recipes or throw it in a bag and freeze for later use)
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (You'll find this in the Asian food section of the supermarket or at an Asian grocer. The ingredients may read, 'glutinous rice', however rice is gluten free and this term simply refers to the stickiness of the rice in the manufacture of the vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce (Ayam brand is gluten free)
- 225ml Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large pieces of Barramundi, cut into two pieces each length ways
- Leaves from one bunch of coriander or dill. (I'm not a huge coriander fan but still eat it but usually use dill instead)
- Sesame seeds to top
- In a bowl mix together, the first eight ingredients and set aside. Add garlic at this step if desired.
- Wash Barramundi skin, sometimes there are left over scales and you don't want to be biting into those as they're quite large.
- Grill method: Preheat grill. Brush fish lightly with ginger mixture, then grill under high heat for 2-3 minutes each side, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Pan Fry method: Drizzle small amount of Olive oil into pan, heat on high. Brush fish with mixture as per grill method. Score skin with knife. I usually add more pepper at this stage too and more garlic to the top. Cook skin side down (this gives the crispy skin). However, during cooking process you can drizzle more ginger mixture over the fish.
- Oven Method: Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Wrap fish in quality baking paper, drizzle with some ginger mixture. Wrap. Place on tray flesh side down into oven.Bake for 10-15 minutes. Open parcel and expose the skin, bake for further 5 minutes.
- Spoon remaining ginger mix onto plates and top with fish. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, almond flakes, toasted pine nuts and/or chia seeds.
- Serve with a decadent fresh stir fry or salad. :)