Lactose and Gluten Free
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil. Can use less.
- 1 brown onion, halved, chopped
- 2-3 x garlic cloves, crushed or 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 x medium (about 700g) peeled desiree, pink eye or pontiac potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x leeks, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1.25L (5 cups) vegetable or chicken stock stock
- 2 x bay leaves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) lactose free cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely shredded, to garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add leeks, potato, onion, garlic, and bay leaves and bacon if using, cook on low until leeks are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and simmer, covered, for about 25 -30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and purée the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir through the cream. (Lactose free cream is a lot thinner than thickened cream, so add a bit at a time to your taste. Season. Add more stock if necessary to give the desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve in a soup bowl, with gluten free bread for dipping.