Lactose and Gluten Free
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2-4 lamb shanks
- 150 g bacon, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced or 6 teaspoons store bought minced garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (cabernet sauvignon)
- 1 litre gluten free beef stock
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten free corn flour to thicken sauce
- 2-3 potatoes, cooked and mashed to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ᵒC.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium- high heat. Season shanks and cook batches, turning for 5-6 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and place in a large oven proof casserole dish.
- Reduce heat to medium, add bacon, onion, celery and garlic. Cook stirring for 3 minutes or until softened and lightly colored, add to casserole dish.
- Add the tomato paste , wine, stock, thyme and balsamic vinegar to casserole dish. Cover and cook for 3 hours or until meat is falling from the bone.
- If necessary add 1 tablespoon of gluten free corn flour to a little water and thicken sauce
- Serve over shanks over mash potato and ladle sauce over the top.