Thanks to Robert and Lorraine from Gordon, Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Australia for sending in this delicious recipe. I loved rice pudding as a child. This is perfect for a quick sweet dessert. Robert says his wife Lorraine is the cook behind the recipe but he was the one who sent it in.~Kaz
Lactose and Gluten Free
- 4 x cups of lactose free milk (Kaz Note: I'm going to experiment with different types of milk alternatives)
- 3/4 cup medium grain rice
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground nutmeg or cinnamon to serve
- Place milk, rice and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat ad bring to boil. Reduce heat and medium low and cook, stirring for 20 or so minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add sugar and vanilla. Increase heat to medium high. Boil for a further 2 minutes or until rice is soft and the mix thickens.
- Add nutmeg or cinnamon, stir and serve immediately.